The Counseling Department is excited to introduce our students and parents to Family Connection by Naviance. This innovative, easy-to-use Web application will assist our students with the entire college and career planning process. Our goal at Sussex County Technical School is to connect our families with valuable resources and to provide an efficient way for students and parents to stay informed and keep organized information. Naviance Family Connection (http://connection.naviance.com/scts
) is a web-based service designed especially for students and parents. Naviance Family Connection is a comprehensive website that you can use to help in making decisions about colleges, scholarships and careers. Naviance Family Connection is linked with Counselor’s Office, a service that is used to track and analyze data about college and career plans. It provides up-to-date information that is specific to your school. We hope that you will find this resource helpful. If you have further questions about Naviance Family Connection, please contact your case manager/counselor. We have also included links to additional websites that are important to Sussex County Technical School High School students.
Naviance Family Connection will allow students and parents to:
- Study for SAT/ACT using Method Test Prep – An online course that will help you build your math, reading, writing, and SAT/ACT test prep skills. Students completing the course preparation class can receive 1.25 credits for the completion of each test preparation course. Through your school’s Naviance Family Connection site,you will be able to complete the course and track all of the work you complete. Method Test Prep uses proven strategies that are clear and easy to understand for any type of learner and students have seen measurable progress using the course.
- About Me
- These are sections you might find useful:
- My Profile – Includes basic biographical data and grade point average
- My Resume - By completing this resume with information about your accomplishments and talents, you can help us get a better understanding of how to help you effectively describe yourself to colleges. It may also help match you with local and state scholarship opportunities.
- My Colleges – As you find colleges that interest you, we recommend that you add them to your list of “Colleges That I’m Considering”. If one of your colleges of interest visits Sussex County Technical School, you will automatically receive an e-mail alerting you to the date and time of their visit. Also, as you apply to colleges, you will track the status of your application under “Colleges to which I’m Applying”.
- My Journal – As you investigate colleges and start to develop or refine your college list, this is an excellent place to chronicle your thoughts and questions.
- My Account – If you would like to change your password, you can do so here.
- Apply for Scholarships – Check the most up-to-date (Mr. Tresslar Scholarship Coordinator- ) list of scholarships that are on the local, state and national level.
- Scholarship List – Click here for a complete listing of scholarships of which we receive notice. Many of these scholarships are from local, community, or state organizations.
- Scholarship Match – Based on information in your profile, your resume, or your game plan, scholarships are matched with your qualifications. The more information you complete in Family Connection, the better the matches.
- Get Involved in the Planning and Advising Process – Order transcripts; Build a résumé, complete on-line surveys, and manage timelines and deadlines for making decisions about colleges and careers;
- Research Careers – Naviance Family Connection offers the “Career Interest Profiler” as an on-line career interest assessment for students based on Holland’s interest codes. The “Do What You Are” feature begins with a personality inventory and concludes with a report describing the student’s personality type, potential careers, and related majors. The results link students directly to detailed career profiles, which include educational requirements, salary data, and in some cases even multimedia presentations. Students may also link directly to the college database to find colleges that offer an educational path to each career;
- Take a Learning Style Inventory – The innovative Learning Style Inventory gives important insights about how students learn in order to help each student achieve maximum potential. The tool assesses the following dimensions that affect a students’ learning: Immediate environment; Emotionality; Sociological needs; and Physical needs;
- Research Colleges – College Lookup – Start here to research a specific college. We always recommend that students visit the college’s individual website for the most up-to-date information. There is a direct link to the website on each college’s Naviance homepage. This tool will allow you to use historical GPA and test score information about students from Tech and their college applications to match you with colleges that you may want to consider adding to your list. Please note that there are many factors which can affect admissions decisions and the results of this search do NOT guarantee in any way whether or not you will be accepted at a particular college. If a particular college never appears in the results, it may be because no one from Tech has ever applied to it.
- College Compare – This tool allows you to compare average grade point averages and test scores for accepted students from Tech at up to ten colleges. School averages are displayed in green when your number is higher and in red when your number is lower. Your PSAT score, if available, has been converted to the equivalent SAT score and compared to the average single SAT score of an accepted student. The column labeled "Accept" shows the number of students accepted out of the number of students that applied.
- Scattergrams – This amazing tool allows you to visually see how you compare to TECH students who have applied to a particular college based on your grade point average and ACT or SAT score.
- Acceptance History – To see how many TECH students have applied and enrolled at all colleges click here.
- Visit Schedule – College admission representatives visit TECH throughout the school year, especially in the fall, to meet directly with interested students. To see what colleges have scheduled visits to Sussex County Technical School, click here. Students may click on “sign up” next to the college name to receive an email that reminds them of the upcoming visit. We also list local college fairs on this page, and students can click on “sign up” to see what colleges will be attending that fair.
- Compare GPA, standardized test scores, and other statistics to actual historical data from our school for students who have applied and been admitted in the past;
- Sign Up for College Visits – Find out which colleges are visiting our school and sign up to attend those sessions;